Title: Programme Assistant for Youth
(Only candidates who have the right to live and work in Thailand may apply to this position)
Domain: Social and Human Sciences
Grade: SB-2 SC-3 Min level of the local UNDP salary scale
Organizational Unit: Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
Primary Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Duration: Initial three (3) months probationary period; renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds
Deadline for Application: 26 February 2021
Report to work: As soon as possible
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
The UNESCO Youth Programme provides opportunities for young people to collaborate with UNESCO to advocate for sustainable development, build civic and technical
skills and network with youth and youth-friendly organizations from across the region. This programme assistant will specifically provide support to the following projects.
- Youth AS Researchers global COVIS response project;
- Asia Pacific Interagency Network on Youth website, including Y-MAP;
- Youth and AI initiative for Southeast Asia.
To address these needs, UNESCO Bangkok is seeking to hire a motivated programme assistant to support in coordinating, planning and implementing UNESCO’s programme
activities in the Asia-Pacific region in the field of youth development.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Bangkok, Thailand and the direct supervision of the Regional Adviser for Social and Human Sciences (SHS),
the incumbent will provide support in coordinating, planning and implementing UNESCO’s programme activities in the Asia-Pacific region in the field of youth development. He/she will be responsible to carry out the following tasks:
- Produce complete and in final form documents, publications and correspondence related to the work of the Section / Unit from draft texts. Search, locate, compile,
review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; enter data in, and run reports for reporting on programme / project delivery, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor(s) or responsible
manager. Provide administrative support for fund raising initiatives.
- Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support. Provide administrative support
for the events; collate / format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes / information / documentation and prepare associated documentation.
- Receive, analyze, sort, register and distribute correspondence and documents; update and maintain large distribution lists and process requests for data and
reports; determine the importance and priority of documents received and follow-up, draft correspondence and emails. Maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating and retrieving information, documentation
and data. Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology / software.
- Respond to enquiries and follow up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues;
make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the specialist / service concerned. Liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information / clarifications.
- Perform additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
- Completed secondary education. Bachelor’s Degree in the field of social sciences or related areas would be desirable.
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant experience (with Secondary education), or no experience (with Bachelor’s degree) preferably in the field of youth development
Skills and competencies
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently on delegated tasks and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with team members across different types of activities.
- Creative thinking and problem solving skills.
- Appreciation of diverse identities.
- Excellent ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Proven ability to work efficiently, under pressure, and in a multi-cultural environment Languages.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Thai (spoken and written).
- Experience within the UN System or international organizations.
- Experience in managing websites and communications.
- Experience in the field of computer science.
Skills and competencies
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
- High sense of responsibility and willingness to take initiatives.
Interested candidates should click on “Apply Now”, and download and complete the Employment History form (Word document).
- Before uploading the document, at the end of the Word document, please insert extra pages with the following required information:a cover letter;
- a full resume (stating details of educational qualifications and work experience, present income, home and office contact addresses, email address,
telephone numbers and three references).