Job interviews take you one-step closer to landing your dream career. A step that’s necessary yet hard to get right. Some employers and hiring managers can come up with the weirdest interview questions. Anticipating the kind of questions will improve your chances of being hired. We’ve collected the top 10 weirdest interview questions and provided you with the best way to answer them.
- “If you turned your cell phone to silent, and it rang loudly despite it being on silent, what would you tell me?” – Kimberly-Clark
- “If we came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?” – Trader Joe’s
- “Name five uses of a stapler without staples.” – EvaluServe
- “What’s your favorite song? Perform it for us now.” –LivingSocial
- “On a scale of one to ten, rate me as an interviewer.” – Kraft Foods
- “If you could be anyone else, who would it be?” –Salesforce.com
- “How would you direct someone else on how to cook an omelet?” – PETCO
- “Pick two celebrities to be your parents and why?” – Urban Outfitters
- “Teach me how to make a tuna sandwich.” – Astron Consulting
- “What do you think about when you’re alone (in the car/bus/home etc.)” – Gallup
Recruitment experts and career advisers from Glassdoor.com agree that they are not looking for the right answers when asking these weird interview questions. They’re actually testing your thought process and gauge if you can think outside the box and on your feet.
Here are some great tips to help you come up with a winning answer:
- Take a minute or two to think about your answer. If you’re not sure about the question, ask the interviewer to repeat it for you.
- Don’t try to squeeze your way out by questioning its validity.
- Relate the question to the position you’re applying and start your answer from there. Give concrete examples to show off your thought process.
- Never let weird interview questions stress you out. Ask the interviewer for clarifications and take the time to come out with answer that will highlight your personality and why you’re perfect for the job.