Find The Engineer Recruitment Ltd.
Head of Engineering
Head of Engineering are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
As a Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers and quality assurance team in design, development, test, and deployment of new customer facing experiences. You will have also tackled challenges associated with balancing speed with quality software.
Ultimately, the Head of Engineering will be responsible for the velocity of feature deployment, stability of our core platforms, the quality of the technical architecture, and will report to the Chief Product and Technology Officer.
- Develop an extraordinary engineering and quality assurance team with a passion for shipping quality code and product
- Be both a highly technical, hands-on coder and effective people manager
- Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts
- Hold your own in technical discussion, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- Hands on knowledge and understanding of technical engineering best practices (e.g., test driven development, continuous integration, continuous delivery, release trains, etc.)
- Define and drive common architectural and engineering standards and practices across the organization. Enforce coding standards and best practices
- Ensure the optimal application of technology and engineering resources within an Agile environment to meet product development and/or customer requirements across multiple markets (Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia)
- Manage and create a unified engineering team across multiple countries
- Hire, mentor and grow a world-class engineering team capable of taking on challenging projects, provide technical guidance & career development to team members
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Collaborate with a cross functional team of product managers, user experience designers and business clients to develop and deploy scalable technologies
- Attract, inspire, coach, retain and foster leadership across a team of Software Development, Engineering, Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Report on status of development, quality and system performance to management
- Ensure implementation of agile processes to support the product development process
- Creation of performance management framework to monitor engineers and QA’s performance
A successful candidate will have an established background in building customer facing products and services, the ability to build and manage a team of skilled engineers across multiple countries, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills in both Agile and Waterfall, great communication skills, excellent leadership skills to unify engineers across multiple countries and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You will also have proven leadership capabilities and technology general management experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience managing engineering teams to include designing and developing complex, interactive consumer applications in high traffic environments, ideally with hands-on distributed systems experience
- Mastery of PHP language (at least 5+ years of experience) and experience with high-performance PHP applications
- Strong hands on experience with developing and scaling Node.js
- 3 or 4+ years’ experience with designing and developing Micoservices
- 2+ years automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications such as Kubernetes or Docker
- Experience with various software-industry business models including subscription, ecommerce, fulfilment and support
- Worked with high volume eventual consistency architectural data layers
- Experience with high scale Redis, Cassandra and other NoSQL databases
- 5+ years building automation and support for automating rolling deployments
- Innate understanding of SQL and data modeling for scalability and performance
- Must have or been managing teams greater than 30 people
- Knows agile development practices, thinks they’re awesome, and is excited to use them
- Ability to clearly articulate design ideas while being receptive to constructive criticism