- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Strong technical skills
- Sound understanding of preventative maintenance and condition monitoring.
- Financial acuity / Business acumen – the control of expenses/costs, the monitoring of financial procedures, and the maximisation of revenues through initiative.
- Human Resource Management skills - successful recruitment, training, and the development of each associate according to their potential for advancement.
- Planning and organisation of resources for varying business levels in both the short- and long-term to achieve strategic goals.
- Strong Communication Skills – must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace, ensuring good information flow
- Ability to be a Change Agent and drive the pursuit of continuous improvement.
- Leadership, Delegation, Motivation and Team Building skills
- Effective conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Sound information systems knowledge
- Legislation knowledge (building codes, fire safety and country standards)
- Provide a professional, advisory and support service to the Director of Engineering / Chief Engineer to assist in meeting the strategic goals of the department.
- Supervise and control the Maintenance Request System
- Control, initiate and undertake assigned capital projects, from design and pricing to construction and commissioning
- Oversee the general cost control aspects of maintenance
- Analyze, monitor and maintain records relating to Utility costs throughout the Hotel
- Carry out regular inspections of plant and equipment and ensure that inspections required by Government authorities are conducted and documented
- Control and supervise the Fire Protection Preventative Maintenance Program
- Ensure proper records are kept relating to all plant and equipment within the Hotel
- Ensure proper measures are taken to protect the environment as per local legislation and the Hotel’s adherence to it
- Implements energy and water management systems to minimize wastage and costs
- Implement cost effective Preventative Maintenance and Condition Monitoring Programs
- Supervise the daily operation and maintenance of buildings, electrical and mechanical services, water features, fixtures, furnishings and equipment
- Liaise and supervise all Property Maintenance Contractors on site and ensure appropriate standards are met
- Carry out all emergency repairs to all technical equipment, general fitting, welding and machining
- Maintain and audit all workshop tools and equipment for the running of workshop’s trades and functions
- Ensure that workshops have adequate stock and materials in Stores and that all workshops are kept in a clean and safe environment
- Attend meetings as required
- Conduct performance reviews, identifying key personnel for further career development
- Implement and maintain training systems to ensure that associates have the necessary framework and skills to perform their job efficiently and effectively
- Prepare work schedules and annual leave schedules within budget, business expectations and guidelines of the appropriate industrial legislation
- Assist with the selection and appointment of new associates within the department
- Conduct regular staff meetings to keep all associates are fully informed
- Ensure compliance with legislated workplace health and safety requirements
- Comply with all Starwood and Hotel Specific Standards and Procedures
- Promote by example the principles of “Starwood Cares” and Building world class brands
- Promote by example that the Le Meridien engineering department has both internal (other departments) and external (Guests and clients) customers
- Actively promote a work environment, which cares for guests and associates alike
- Ensure the cleanliness of all plant items, plant rooms, control rooms and facility associated areas
- Prepare Engineering reports as required by Area Directors of Engineering and Technical service office.
The Job and the Law:
- To comply with all Health & Safety Policies and Procedures, including fire regulations, and ensuring documentation is up to date.
- Ensure all Fire, and Health & Safety equipment are fully maintained.
- Ensure all weekly Fire and Health & Safety tests are carried out in hotel and spa.
- Control and train the Hotel Fire Team and liaise with the Training Manager and Department Heads to ensure all associates are effectively trained in the procedures.
- Ensure work practices adhere to Company and Statutory Legislation with due diligence at all times.
- Ensure the Permit to Work system is adhered to at all times.
- Manage all activities within engineering function to Company policy.
- To demonstrate proper and safe usage of all equipment.
- To maintain high standards of personal hygiene and be immaculately presented at all times.
- Ensure that high dress standards are met at all times.
Ensure reporting of any incidents/accidents are fully completed as necessary
Your Blueprint for success:
- In this role you will impact the company strategy as follows:
- Record necessary data to prepare monthly reports, such as Fire Report, Energy Summary, HLP Report and Water Treatment report to Divisional Engineer on a monthly basis.
- Ensure daily data collection; work orders are allocated and completed on time; and reporting of issues as they arise; are carried out by the Assistant Chief Engineer.
- Ensure daily team meeting is chaired by Chief Engineer or by Assistant Chief Engineer to discuss priorities and schedules.
- Attend the daily operations meeting; advising of all Engineering, Project, Security and Safety related matters.
- Completion of Six Sigma training and participation in quality initiatives.
- Implement and maintain departmental objectives.
- Completion of annual ASI survey.
- Knowledge of and compliance with Starwood EAME minimum standards.
- Diligence in prevention of wastage; maintaining and promoting Hotel’s environmental policies; liaise with recycling companies to ensure most environmentally and cost effective ways of managing the hotel waste.
- Attend and support Excom and Departmental, Quarterly Staff, ASI feedback , Safety Committee, and other meetings as per the business requirements.
Training & Development:
- Recruit, Train and Develope all engineers as per the Training Matrix on an ongoing basis, and measure their performance 6 monthly. Identify training needs from the PMP.
- Review, update, implement and train all associates on Fire Safety, Health & Safety, Security procedures, etc. at Induction and regular training sessions throughout the year.
- Train Team Leaders on risk Assessment techniques and implementation.
- Assist and advise Team Leaders on associate training within their departments.
- Motivate team and seek continuous improvement of policies and service practices.
- Ensure full liaison with the General Manager, Executive Managers and Department Heads.
- Maintain communication with Head Office personnel, and other Hotel colleagues.
- Develop good working relationships with local police, especially for VIP functions, etc.
- Develop good working relationships with the Fire department, local Environmental Officers, etc.
- Hold regular Department communication meetings.
- Project a pleasant, positive and professional image at all times.