Sustainable Hydropower Specialist
Thai National Mekong Committee Secretariat
jobsDB ref: JTH300003001184381
Employer Ref. Lao
Division/Section : Planning Division
Level : M-12
Work location : MRC Secretariat in Vientiane, Lao P.D.R
Contract type/ Duration : Fixed-term Appointment / One year contract renewal
Job Summary / Job Statement
The jobholder acts as the focal point to assess hydropower developments with potential transboundary implications, and supports Member Countries in the identification and promotion of mutual and basin-wide benefits and in avoiding or mitigating transboundary costs through the Basin Development Strategy, sustainable hydropower development strategy, guidelines and tools. He or she works closely with the River Basin Planner in sustainable hydropower planning.
Main tasks and responsibilities
Under the management direction of the Division Director and technical advice of the Chief river basin planner, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Provide contribution and coordinate technical inputs of other specialists, national experts, and consultants in preparing, updating & implementing the regional sustainable hydropower strategy and technical guidelines;
- Provide contribution to all studies on sustainable hydropower development;
- Provide contribution and coordinate technical inputs of other specialists, national experts and consultants in updating and implementation of the Preliminary Design Guidance for Mainstream Dams and other relevant hydropower sustainability tools and their application;
- Collaborate with the relevant specialists and officers in engaging with private sector developers, NGOs, civil society and research institutions on sustainable hydropower development;
- Provide analytical reviews and assessment on specific hydropower project proposals as required, particularly in connection with the implementation of the PNPCA;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of BDS and other basin-wide strategies and plans including from a hydropower perspective;
- Ensure that relevant knowledge and products developed by the MRC are available at the national level to assist decision-making processes;
- Contribute to other areas of work as led by other specialists / Divisions when relevant;
- Support and contribute to the work of the MRC’s regional technical/expert group related to basin planning (if applicable), and other regional groups as required;
- Provide relevant technical inputs to the assessments of risks and impacts of decisions on water resources management and development in the basin;
- Perform other relevant tasks as required.
Scope of Authority
- Supervision requirements: The position does not require any formal supervisory responsibilities. However, supervision of consultants and quality control may be required.
- Level of autonomy: Decision making follows defined procedures. The position does not administer a budget, yet has responsibility for ensuring the financial accountability of MRC.
- Level of problem solving required: Problem solving skill is expected and the incumbent must display sensitivity, initiative and creativity
- Level and type of communications required: Communications are wide, within and outside the organisation, and require considerable oral and written skills.
- University degree (Master or higher) in water engineering (especially hydropower engineering or management), energy, water management, or other fields relevant to hydropower development
- TOEIC certificate with 600 points and over is required. An equivalent internationally recognized certificate or a university degree from an internationally recognized academic institution whose instruction is in English may also be considered.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in water resource management, of which at least 7 years in hydropower development
- Preferably 5 years of experience in management of complex projects
- Preferably 3 years of experience in bilateral, international relations
Job Summary / Job Statement:
The Job Description and other information can be obtained from the MRC website http://www.mrcmekong.org/working-with-mrc/employment/ and https://www.facebook.com/Mekong-River-Commission-165798426775632/timeline/. MRC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Women are especially encouraged to apply. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Closing date for applications: 09 December 2016
Only nationals of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Vietnam are eligible to apply. The application, in a single PDF file,must include (i) a cover letter outlining clearly how the candidate meets the requirements of the position, (ii) a detailed CV, and (iii) MRC Personal History Form. The position title anddivision must be indicated in the cover letter.MRC offers challenging job with attractive compensation package.
Candidates must send his/her application via e-mail to both MRC Secretariat and the National Mekong Committee in the candidate’s home country via "Apply Now"
Mekong River Commission
Office of the Secretariat in Vientiane (OSV)
P.O. Box 6101, 184 Fa NgoumRoad
Vientiane 01000, Lao PDR
Cambodia National Mekong Committee
P.O.Box 623, 364 Monivong Blvd.,
Sangkat Phsar Doerm Thkouv, Khan Chamkar Mon, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel. (855-23) 216 514 Fax. (855-23) 218 506
Lao National Mekong Committee
Khunbulom Road, Chantabouly District, Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Tel. (856-21) 260 983 Fax. (856-21) 260 984
Thai National Mekong Committee
Department of Water Resources
180/3 Rama 6 Road, Soi Phibul Watana Building
Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Thailand
Tel. (66-2) 271 6165, 271 6620
Fax. (66-2) 298 6605
Viet Nam National Mekong Committee
23 Hang Tre, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel. (84-4) 825 4785 Fax. (84-4) 825 6929
jobsDB will send your application for review directly to Thai National Mekong Committee Secretariat
About Thai National Mekong Committee Secretariat
The Mekong River Commission (MRC) is the only inter-governmental agency that works directly with the governments of Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam on their common specific interests - joint management of shared water resources and sustainable development of the Mekong River.
As a regional facilitating and advisory body governed by water and environment ministers of the four countries, the MRC aims to ensure that the Mekong water is managed & developed in the most efficient & sustainablemanner that mutually benefits all Member Countries and minimizes harmful effects on people and the environment in the Lower Mekong Basin.
The Mekong River Commission is now recruiting the highly qualified candidate for the positions of:
More Jobs from this employer